Lime plaster has been used throughout history in the Europe, Japan, Morocco, the Middle East and old New Zealand buildings. Lime plaster can be simple and rustic, or delicate and elegant and we can use the combined knowledge and experience of many different cultures to create beautiful finishes with lime.
Why use lime plaster
Lime plaster has benefits that far exceed the beautiful visual aesthetic. Lime absorbs and reacts with CO2 improving indoor air quality. It naturally regulates humidity and inhibits mould and bacterial growth. Lime plaster is a healthy, environmentally friendly and natural product that has a dramatic effect on the liveability of a home.
We make our own traditional Mediterranean and Japanese lime plasters that are suitable for many different applications. Lime plaster is the ideal choice for an extremely strong, durable finish that creates a healthy indoor environment as well as providing a beautiful and decorative finish.
What we create
- 1, 2, or 3 coat interior plasters.
- A large range of colours using natural earth pigments.
- Can be applied to earth, GIB, straw, hemp, woodfibre boards, concrete, brick and more.
- A wide range of surface finishes including rough, lightly textured, smooth, polished and water-resistant.
Tadelakt is an ancient Moroccan lime plaster technique that creates a waterproof surface with a high sheen and mottled effect. It is created by polishing the surface with a hard, flat stone and applying soap which reacts with the lime. A completely seamless surface without grout is created and it can be applied to any shape. It is suitable for use in bathrooms, including shower areas and will pass as an Alternative Solution in the NZ building code.
What we create
- Waterproof wall finishes in bathrooms and other wet areas. Shower walls can be done with a similar construction build-up as a tiled shower.
- A range of colours, tints and effects from natural earth pigments